Optimism rules!

Hi, I am from Singapore, a Chinese male. That aside, I am a very boring people. So boring that my posts can make you feel sleepy. So if you have insomnia, read my posts. Just kidding, of course. Hope you enjoy my blog. One house rule though: Spam comments will be deleted. I don't need advertisements on my blog. Thanks for your co-operation.

Thursday, September 01, 2005

Happy Teacher's Day

Ironically, this is also the day when we meet our LO (Liaison Officer) for the attachment for the first time. Our respective will visit our workplace thrice throughout our work attachment. To be honest, I am not totally excited about going for attachment. However, being a young adult who never had a major part-time job, working in the office should be a whole new experience for me, or even a new phase of my life.

Thanks to the invitation of my ex-classmate, Wee Ping, I could visit my secondary school yesterday. It has been 2 and a half years since graduating from Juying Secondary School, but half of the teachers were still there. This year's teacher's day celebration seems to end quite late, at around 11 am. Went to saw the school performances. To be honest, I prefer the previous performances I got to enjoy as a student there. I even remember there is a fellow schoolmate who act as a comedian on special occasion. What a hoot he was. I sure miss him. We also notice that the students had chairs and benches to sit on. Maybe like Weeping said, there are significantly less students these days (Low birth rate?). We used to sit on the floor, and it was even more crampy than now it is with chairs.

For some reason, I decided to visit the D&T (Design & Technology) workshop, even though I regretted choosing that subject over F&N(Food and Nutrition). Met our workshop instructor there, and he had so much to share with us. He spent more than half an hour talking to us, and we stood there listening, until my legs tired already. However, everything he said make so much sense, and are both interesting and meaningful (such as parents nowaday spoil their children, don't really corporate with the school, and all). Apparently, he was very happy to see us again.

After the celebration end, I got to have a quick chat with my English techer, Mr. Lum. According to him, the formal celebration is the default dinner. 2 years ago, it was a lunch, and all the teachers had to rush off to the bus sending them to the lunch venue. Because of that, we had limited time to talk to the teachers. What a pity, for it was the 1st Teacher's Day after our graduation, and it was also the year with the most number of visiting ex-Jyians.

Later, I met my form teacher Miss Lee. She looks livlier than ever. As we were talking , there were students giving her presents. She said she don't really need those presents. She would be more than happy if graduate like me visit the school. Anyway, she was also more than willing to be my references. In fact, she would write double references when I go to university. So, I must jia you and then not let her down wor. Hope to be able to visit the school again.

Back at Ngee Ann poly, I typed greeting emails to 3 teachers, Linda Ng (AFA lecturer), Mrs Yong (MA2 tutor), and Simon Tan (MA2 tutor). I wanted to write to Ms. Tiew (Audit 2 tutor/ My advisor), and Mrs. Gopolan (Claw lecturer), but couldn't find their email address. As of this writing, I received very sweet replies from Linda Ng and Mr. Tan. Anyway, going off to see my LO soon. To end off, I will say it once more: "Happy Teacher's Day to all teachers!"

2 Comments:

  • At September 4, 2005 at 3:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    you say in ur post, "...but half of the teacher were still there." What happen to the other half?? Btw did u get to see Mr Lim HB also? Wonder how is he le..

     
  • At September 17, 2005 at 7:04 PM, Blogger well-wisher said…

    According to my D&T instructor, they either transfer to other schools or quit teaching altogether. From what he says, teaching is really a tough profession, especially nowadays. Parents tend to be overly-protective of their children, and listen only to one-side of the story: The children wins, and the teachers suffer. I wonder why. Anyway, the key reasons for the departure of the teachers are the failure to make their students to perform. Apparently, not just the students, even the teachers also face the same challenge. In schools, result speaks. Sad, right?

    As for Mr. Lim, his hair was short during my 2 previous visits. He certainly look better in that hairstyle: Neater, smarter, and cuter. ;P When I visited last year, he just came back from reservist, and kept saying he needed to chill out. LOL! Never thought reservist is that tiring.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home