Optimism rules!

Hi, I am from Singapore, a Chinese male. That aside, I am a very boring people. So boring that my posts can make you feel sleepy. So if you have insomnia, read my posts. Just kidding, of course. Hope you enjoy my blog. One house rule though: Spam comments will be deleted. I don't need advertisements on my blog. Thanks for your co-operation.

Sunday, September 18, 2005

Terry Fox Run/Mid-autumn festival

Today being the mid-autumn festival, people celebrates by playing lanterns, candles, and sparkles, eat mooncakes and have chinese tea. If you celebrate mid-autumn festival in any other ways than those traditional ways that I mentioned above, do share with us. :)

Coincidently, I participated the Terry Fox Run today. Terry Fox was a young man who had one of his leg amputated when he was only 18 due to bone cancer. Through this experience, he decided to raise money from Canada to contribute to the cancer research to help thousands of cancer patients. He did so by running across Canada. Sadly, He died before he could complete his mission. However, his spirit remains glowing and his determination and perseverance continues to inspire many.

I donated $25 to participate in the run. Initially, I signed up for the run despite of the pricey registration fee because it is an opportunity to help the less fortunate, it was also for the CCA points and the free entry to the Sentosa. Other reasons include an opportunity to exercise, getting a feel of participating in a mass run (For my Event Communication project, we organised a fictitious mass walk in sentosa in similar location, so I thought it was interesting). However, Ailing No.1's key reason for participating was mostly because she was touched by the story of Terry Fox.

We were both very late for the run, but there was a heavy rain in the morning, so the walk was delayed. In fact, the competitive 8km run was cancelled due to the weather condition. Even the 4km fun run was shortened to 2 km due to similar reason. However, it went on smoothly. There were thousands and thousands of participants. Terry Fox would be proud. May Gob bless his soul.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home