Optimism rules!

Hi, I am from Singapore, a Chinese male. That aside, I am a very boring people. So boring that my posts can make you feel sleepy. So if you have insomnia, read my posts. Just kidding, of course. Hope you enjoy my blog. One house rule though: Spam comments will be deleted. I don't need advertisements on my blog. Thanks for your co-operation.

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Yellow Ribbon Campaign

The 2nd 2-weeks-long Yellow Ribbon campaign has ended recently on 17th September. Before it began on 3rd September, I attended a talk in school. It was quite a successful event held at the large Lt 26. Glad to see so many people supporting the event. Some of the ex-convicts were there to tell us about their experiences, and allow us to emphatise with them. The somehow emphasized my belief that no one is perfect and everyone make mistakes.

The key is to forgive and give them a second chance. Sadly, our society is generally still rather unforgiving, and many still see people as black or white. I myself do not. I see people as different shades of greyness. Different people have different background, upbringing, exposure, learning expriences. Some of them were misled. However, we should not be prejudice against them. Giving them a second chance is not enough. We should also encourage them to move on in life anf give them a helping hand.

I also participated in the Yellow Ribbon Walk which was held on the first day of the campaign 3rd September at the eastern side of Singapore. The walk began outside the Changi Prison Wall. It ended at the Pasir Ris Park I think. Before the walk, the cast of "1San 4Ge 3Hao 2Ren" was also there to support the event (and promote the film ;P). There was also this ex-convict who performed the song which he won a competition for. It was a meaningful song and what a pleasant voice he possesses. The song goes something like this: "Not that I do not want to change for the better. It is just that I lack the courage to do so, and I really need your helping hand."

It is a very thoughful campaign and I will always support it. Still, I think more can be done to make the campaign more meaningful. Firstly, I suggest informing the public of the plight of the ex-convict and the dire cosequences of being prejudice against them. Sociologists or psychlogists could be invited to make useful speeches to allow the public to be more emphathetic towards them (and hopefully, the term "ex-convicts" will no longer be of common usage). Probably by doing so, Singapore can become a more forgiving and gracious society.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home