Optimism rules!

Hi, I am from Singapore, a Chinese male. That aside, I am a very boring people. So boring that my posts can make you feel sleepy. So if you have insomnia, read my posts. Just kidding, of course. Hope you enjoy my blog. One house rule though: Spam comments will be deleted. I don't need advertisements on my blog. Thanks for your co-operation.

Thursday, September 22, 2005

Marina Square revisited

Today I was supposed to go to a fair with Ailing no.1 at Suntec City, but decided against it when we were finally there as it is not entirely convenient for us to go in. The visitors are mostly businessman in formal costume, which our costumes were definitely not comparable to. Beside we had to register before entering, and registration appears impossible for us, as the information requirement don't seem relevant to us.

Instead, we went to Marina Walk and Marina Square nearby. It was the first time I was entering Marina Walk (New building?). It seems like a high class place for high-income visitors. Later, we took a walk around the newly renovated Marina Square. It has been a long time since I last went there. It is a place that I patronise quite frequently.

Sadly, the new Marina Square is definitely not the old Marina Square that I once knew and now misses. It was so family-oriented. Now, it shouts "High-class!" and "Expensive!". What's up with all the pricey restaurants and stores? Is this an attempt to compliment the shopping centre with the government's plan to develope Marina area into an integrated-resort to cater to rich tourists?

2 Comments:

  • At September 24, 2005 at 2:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "Marina Walk" or "Millenia Walk"?? Well, I always like to open myself to changes. SG itself is already so small with limited shopping ctr, if they're nt gg to do smth and change it, it'll always remain e same w/o any attractive traits. That's nt too gd either. I believe that when changes are made, they must have their own reasons.

    For Marina Sq, I still think that e changes made are gd as compared to the previous one. A part of it looks like Far East Shopping ctr which also caters to youngsters like us. The other side are more like food paradise with so many yummy yummy food. =)

    However, I do share e same opinion with u for a shopping ctr called "Plaza Singapura". It has completely lose its originality. They used to have Yao Han dept store and all that, which formed part of my vivid childhood memories and it's no longer there.

     
  • At September 24, 2005 at 11:14 PM, Blogger well-wisher said…

    "Marina Walk", "Millenia Walk", whatever. I just won't go back there until I earn $5,000 per month. Beside, it is not like that place has much going on for us.

    As for the part of the new Marina Square that resembles Far East Shopping, I don't see much of the resemblance. It is called "Youth Zone" by the way, and yes, it does look pretty. However, it is an artifact that feels superficial. The cinema and bowling court were already there. And do we need another K-box?

    Yeah, food paradise, but what good does it do when I cannot afford them? Apply the comments on Plaza Singapura to Marina Sqaure and that is it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home